An inappropriate comment or photo posted by you could stop you from getting the job you really want. One silly mistake and you can be damaged goods to the people you want to recruit you. Be very careful what you and your friends post on social media!
What Employers are looking for …
Employers are looking for a glimpse of your character when they examine your social media history.
- How you interact with your peers.
- Things that you’ve said about your current employer.
- If you’ve said anything about the Boss.
- What kind of photo’s you’ve uploaded.
- Whether you use inappropriate language.
Next Steps If You’ve Posted Inappropriate Content…
- Go through all photos that you’ve posted or have been tagged in. Delete and untag inappropriate images.
- Go back through all status updates you’ve posted to all social media and delete any that were inappropriate. It only takes one slip up so be thorough.
- Make sure your profile bios accurately reflect your character and your goals.
For future sharing on social media…
To not be on social media these days will seem strange to employers but you might want to take the following steps:
- Don’t let your emotions get the better of you
- Don’t post any inappropriate photos
- Don’t use inappropriate language
- Don’t post anything negative about employer, boss or colleagues … or anything for that matter!